Midleton College Attendance Policy
Attendance is a fundamental aspect of a student’s academic success and personal growth. Regular attendance fosters a sense of responsibility, discipline, and engagement with the school community. At Midleton College, we emphasize the importance of consistent attendance and punctuality, recognizing that it directly impacts learning, achievement, and the development of good habits that will last a lifetime.
- Full Participation: Students are expected to attend all scheduled classes, activities, and school events.
- Promptness: Being on time for classes and other commitments is essential. Tardiness disrupts learning for both the student and their peers.
- Communication: Parents/guardians must notify the school as soon as possible if a student will be late or absent, providing the reason.
Some absences may be unavoidable and considered excused with proper communication and documentation. These may include:
- Illness or medical appointments
- Family emergencies
- Religious observances
- Approved school activities or trips
- Other exceptional circumstances reviewed on a case-by-case basis
Absences without proper notification or justification may be considered unexcused and will be addressed according to the school’s disciplinary procedures.
- Attend all classes and activities promptly
- Notify teachers and administration if they must be absent for an excused reason
- Catch up on missed work promptly
- Understand the importance of attendance as it relates to academic success
- Ensure that students attend school regularly and are on time
- Communicate with the school regarding any absences or tardiness
- Support the school’s efforts in promoting regular attendance
- Monitor and record attendance accurately
- Communicate with parents/guardians if attendance issues arise
- Provide support and resources to students and families to encourage regular attendance
- Implement intervention strategies if chronic attendance problems occur
Procedures for Reporting Absences
- Parents/guardians should notify the school by phone, email, or a written note in advance or as soon as possible on the day of the absence.
- In the case of extended absences, additional documentation may be required, such as a medical note.
- The school will verify and record the absence, and teachers will coordinate with the student to make up missed work.
Consequences of Poor Attendance
- Academic difficulties due to missed learning opportunities
- Potential disciplinary actions for unexcused absences or chronic tardiness
- Communication with parents/guardians and possible involvement of additional support services
Attendance at Midleton College is not merely a requirement; it’s an expression of a student’s commitment to their education and personal growth. By adhering to these guidelines, students, parents, and staff contribute to a thriving educational environment where every student has the opportunity to succeed.
For additional information or specific inquiries about the attendance policy at Midleton College, please contact the school office.